Wednesday, November 7, 2012

DisHonored; Post-op

I went ahead and started up Dishonored. Let me preface this post with an explanation. I do not enjoy stealth games. I do not enjoy stealth mechanics. I do not like waiting for guards to look the other way, and I don't like camera issues in these games most of all. That being said, I really enjoyed this title. Dishonored is not a stealth game. I said it. And I will stick to it. However, people who enjoy stealth games will like this game regardless. This game is an action adventure game. Stealth is an option for you to progress the story, but there are as many ways to play as there are ideas that you have about how to play. The abilities you receive and the weapons you get make this game so versatile in play-style that I can honestly recommend this game to anyone willing to try it. Granted, the story is a little off-kilter [Whales get a lot of focus] but most of your actions have a satisfying consequence. You really do have two different skill trees though. There are the abilities that benefit wanton killing and violent justice, and the abilities that do not directly benefit you because you are ending lives. They are all balanced fairly well [considering the time investment needed to get these abilities to high levels] for the level designs, and the game itself rewards improvised thinking and creative play. Without spoiling too much, this game is a Steam-Punk-Whaling-Skyrim with subplots about loss and redemption that only fuel the off-kilter plot and interesting gameplay. It was a fun ride, and I recommend it. P.S. Don't play your first walk through with a guide. Just play the game naturally the first time, and try out anything you want to. This is the game Skyrim wanted to be, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment